Friday, January 14, 2011

Snow Cream

103_1293

Like many of you, I made Snow Cream this week. It’s a nice treat for us Southerners who don’t get much snow. You probably already have a recipe your Granny made that is near and dear to your heart. If that’s the case, you have my permission to stop reading now. It won’t break my heart. I’m not claiming to have the best recipe for Snow Cream, but this is how I make it. And since this is a blog about the foods I make, I feel it would be wrong to keep this recipe from you. Besides, much of what I put on here is for posterity, so that is excuse in itself.

Snow Cream – 6 servings

  • 10 cups Fresh Snow
  • ½ cups Sugar
  • 2 Tablespoons Vanilla Extract
  • 1-2 cups Milk

Scoop the snow into a cold metal bowl. Add the sugar, vanilla and 1 cup of milk. Gently stir until well mixed, adding more milk as needed to make a creamy consistency. How much will depend on if the snow is very dry or wet. Taste and adjust ingredients if needed.

*If I know it’s gonna snow, I leave out a container to catch it. Makes things easier.

*Use a very good vanilla extract for best results. Our Mexican Vanilla gave the Snow Cream a really lovely flavor.

*Reserving some snow to add at the end will help the snow cream be a little fluffier if that’s how you like it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks! Our snow was too icy for snow this snow (we had a layer of ice on top of the snow), but I was wondering how to make the snow cream. I remembered it from childhood, but not how to make it!

Mary Bergfeld said...

This is a wonderful recipe. I'm glad you had the fun of making it. I'm new to your blog and have spent some time browsing through your earlier entries. I really like the food and recipes you feature here. I'll definitely be back. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary