Saturday, March 13, 2010

Chocolate Chip Bread Pudding

Here is an easy recipe to use up day old rolls, croissants, and/or stale bread. It's almost worth making rolls just to let them go stale! My favorite bread to use is leftover rolls from O'Charley's. There's no use letting them go stale and throwing them out when there is Chocolate Chip Bread Pudding to be had!



Chocolate Chip Bread Pudding
Use your leftover rolls from O'Charley's/favorite restaurant rolls!

1 stick unsalted butter
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
5 large eggs, lightly beaten
2 cups whole milk (or 2 1/2 c.heavy cream)
12 rolls or croissants (slightly stale is good)
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Using a food processor, mixer or blender, combine butter and sugar; blend well. Add cinnamon and vanilla and continue to blend.

While the machine is running, add eggs to the mixture. Turn off the machine and scrape down the sides. Add the milk and blend once more.

Lightly butter a baking dish. Break up the bread into 1-inch pieces and add to the dish. Gently mix in the chocolate chips to evenly distribute throughout the bread. Pour the wet mixture over the bread pieces and allow to soak for 8 to 10 minutes. Lightly push down the top pieces of bread to allow to soak up wet mixture.

Cover with foil and bake for 35 minutes. Remove foil and bake for an additional 10 minutes or until the top is lightly browned and the custard is set but still moist. Allow to cool, then dive in!

Click here for the Printable Recipe at Tasty Kitchen.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

This sounds delicious!
I think I am going to go to O'Charley's to buy some rolls just to make it. Thanks for the great recipes :)

EHisCDN said...

Yum!
In the summer I make a raspberry bread pudding but this sounds delicious on a cold winters day (if you eat it hot!)

Seasoned & Stirred said...

Wow, your bread pudding recipe looks amazing! I've heard O'Charley's rolls were good but there aren't any locations in my area. Maybe I'll try the recipe with croissants. Thanks for sharing the recipe. :>)

Saigon & Baygon Inc. said...

I stumbled upon this one when I most needed it!
Last night I made a greek traditional sweet bread called "τσουρέκι" (something similar to brioche, I guess), but the recipe was no good and I was about to throw it out. Gladly I found your blog and scrolled down; so now we've got a yummy pudding which everybody liked!
Thank you and thumbs up! :-)
Greetings from Greece,

Saigon